Home › Plan Your Raceday › Visitor Information › Directions & Parking
Cheltenham Racecourse is located in the heart of the Gloucestershire countryside in a picturesque natural amphitheatre.
To and from Cheltenham
• National Express - National Express offer dedicated services to The Festival from 21 locations across the UK. The coach will get you to The Festival™ with plenty of time to place your bets and won’t depart until all the races have finished. Customers who purchase a National Express coach travel, will receive their e-ticket via email provided in the booking. Please check your junk folders just in case the confirmation email got delivered there instead of your inbox.
• Racecourse Buses - There is a dedicated bus service from South Car Park into Cheltenham and Cheltenham Spa station for The November Meeting and The Festival. For all other meetings bus stops can be found just along the Evesham Road from the main roundabout.
• Local Buses - Stagecoach service D and E runs every 10 minutes during the day and between 10 minutes and every hour on Monday to Saturday evenings. The service runs every 20 minutes on Sundays. (On the two biggest events it will run every 15 minutes not 10) Further details can be found here.
• At The Festival a shuttle bus service operates, picking up at Cheltenham Spa Railway Station and outside WH Smith in the centre of town before dropping off at the Racecourse. Return buses pick up from the Racecourse with stops at Pittville Street and then the Station. Click here for further information.
• Return from Station - £5
• Single from Station - £3
• Single from Town - £3
• Single from Racecourse - £3
• For The Festival™ the D bus will be rerouted around the course, click here to find out more. No stops will be missed.
• Coaches - The relevant signs will direct you to this area, please follow the RED route. Please note that buses with 15 seats or less will need to purchase a public car parking pass.
Trains from London to Cheltenham Spa generally run hourly and take about two hours. Trains from Birmingham generally run every half an hour and take about 35 minutes. From Bristol, trains leave every hour and take about 35 minutes. It is a 10 minute taxi ride from the station.
There will be some disruptions between Bristol Temple Meads and Cheltenham Spa, for more information click here.
• The parking scheme is colour coded, so that your parking zone will match your label and preferred route
• Please study the route maps provided showing the preferred routes to your final parking destination and then follow the yellow, temporary signs put in place for the racing, ignoring both sat nav directions and brown signs once you pick up the yellow directional signs
• Colour codes are as below;
Disabled Council Badge Holders – Disabled Parking Symbol
Annual Members, RCA Trainers car park stickers, RCA Owners car park stickers, RCA Press car park stickers, ROA members, RCA members and those with four day members disabled parking (should follow the RED route, not the YELLOW route as per the colour of the RCA issued car parking label) – Red
Horseboxes and Minibuses – Red
PJA members, Owners and Trainers hanging labels – Blue
N Bays which have been sold by Cheltenham – Blue
Reserved Annual Members and bays sold in Hall of Fame Car park – Yellow
The Cheltenham Club members – Yellow
Hospitality guests should follow the colour of the car parking pass provided.
If you do not have a car parking pass then please see below;
Public and Pre Paid General Admission (CLUB, TATTERSALLS AND BEST MATE ENCLOSURES) – Green
Raceday staff – Green
Bookmakers – Yellow
Taxis - Grey
Private hire – Raceday staff – Green
Contractors and Exhibitors accreditation – Raceday staff – Green
Coaches – Red
Drop off and pick up - Pink
• Occasionally, the route you are directed to will not be the shortest route, in terms of distance. However, it will allow you to approach the racecourse, enter and park in the correct zone in the fastest time possible. Please help us to help you have the smoothest and quickest access into the course by following the correct signs and not routes that you have previously used
Details of the location of different car parks can be found here.
Drop off and pick up areas – For The November Meeting and The Festival, please follow the signs that will route you to Green , which will allow you to be dropped off in West Car Park. It is then a five minute walk to the entrances. It would be appreciated if you could respect our neighbours and use the areas provided, not local roads and driveways. A drop off and pick up map can be found here ;
Taxi rank – the taxi rank is accessed via the main entrance off the roundabout adjacent to the Main Drive entrance. Please see here for more information.
Exit – When leaving the car park you will be required to exit via a specified route, normally the direction you came from. To minimise delays within the racecourse certain gates will be restricted to allow only left OR right turns. We apologise for any inconvenience.
Evesham Road (A435) - During The Festival and Friday/Saturday of The November Meeting there will be a closure of Evesham Road (A435) in a southbound direction, for local road users, between approximately 10.30 and 13.30. The road will then be closed again between 16.30 - 19.30 (or 15.00 and 18.30 at The Open). This will allow cars to enter the course but not allow non-raceday traffic travelling south to Cheltenham. Other routes will be signposted accordingly.
The closure will come into place at the crossroads between Evesham Road, Southam Lane and Hyde Lane. Cars and vans not attending the racing, but using the local roads, will be asked to use Hyde Lane towards Swindon Village and Cheltenham, vehicles over 3.9m (12'9") will turn left down Southam Lane and travel via Prestbury. It is advised that anyone coming from the Tewkesbury and Evesham area use the M5 Southbound from Junction 9 to Junction 10.
This proposal has been put forward by Cheltenham Racecourse and the local council, police and highways as a variation on the temporary traffic order previously granted to Cheltenham Racecourse on racedays.
Limos - Those travelling by limo should follow the signs for coach parks. Parking for limos is the same price as cars and is situated in the north coach park. Costs are therefore free excluding Friday/Saturday of The November Meeting (£4 in advance, £5 on the day) and The Festival (£12 in advance and £20 on the day).
Birmingham and Bristol airports provide flights to many national and international destinations. Gloucestershire Airport is in Staverton at junction 11 of the M5 and can schedule private flights.There is a helipad at the racecourse.
The walking route from the station is well maintained and easy to follow, taking approximately 40 minutes. The route is predominantly traffic free along a shared cycleway/footway.
Parking is free at all of our meetings except Friday and Saturday of The November Meeting and all four days of The Festival™. On these days limos are charged the same prices as cars and coaches are free of charge. Parking for The Festival is £12 in advance and £20 on the day. During The November Meeting it is £4 in advance and £5 on the day.
Traffic to the site can build up at peak times, and therefore we would advise you to arrive early to avoid the traffic. In addition, especially at the major meetings the traffic exiting the course can also build up, so please do be aware of this when making travel arrangements.
The racecourse has two “fast charge” electric vehicle charging points located near the Hall of Fame entrance. These are operated under the Polar scheme, more information about the Polar Charging Network can be found here. Access can be restricted at some race meetings so please check availability of the charge points in advance.
For The November Meeting and The Festival™ (March) a temporary traffic order is in place on the streets around the course. Visitors will not be able to park in these streets, as only local residents will be able to park using their parking permit. For local residents, parking permits are issued by the council, via MiPermits (http://www.mipermit.com/).
Please view parking and directions information here
Have you seen a list of our upcoming events?